Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Why???

When we adopted Lucy in 2004, I knew one day I would have to share with her "her story" I knew one day she would ask "why???"

Lucy has known from day one that she was born in China and we became a family through adoption, all these things.....just not ALL the details.
I have always wanted her to feel loved and wanted, to find comfort in Gods plan. We have had many sweet discussions over the past 6 years together and she is proud to have been born in China and often talks about being adopted.

Last week, she was helping make tacos for dinner and she said, "mama, can I ask you a question?" I reply "yes" thinking to myself, she's about to ask me if we can go to get ice cream after dinner. I had no idea she was about to ask me "why" I had tried to prepare myself for this question for the past 6 years and here is was......

Lucy, (in 7 year old speak) "if my birth mother carried me in her tummy and borned me, why didn't she keep me?" I stopped what I was doing and lifted her up onto the counter, looked into those sweet brown eyes and (while holding back the tears) told her everything I know. I told her about China and the great famine in the 60's which led to Chairman Mao's one child policy and China's need/want for boys. I also, shared with her everything I knew about her particular circumstances in China and showed her some photos. I'm not going to go in detail here on the blog about the information I have. I told Lucy, it's HER story and if she wants to share it she can or she can keep it to herself.

After, I was done I asked her how she felt about "her story." She said, "mama, promise me you will take me back to China one day." "I'm afraid I will forget about China and my birthmom." I gave her a big hug and a promise...."yes, baby I will take you back to visit China and I will help you to remember."


3 comments:

Nancy said...

AS SOON AS I WIPE AWAY MY TEARS I'M GOING TO LOOK FOR MY PASSPORT BECAUSE I'M GOING WITH YOU

LOVE YOU
MOM

Anonymous said...

Bitter Sweet...she seems like an old soul.

Football and Fried Rice said...

Isn't it something how we can "be there" for them in that way? We, the lucky ones who get to be their parents, get to help them remember where they came from and how they came to be with us. It is really nothing short of amazing - but it's hard too.

I am reading Lily's book! It's phenomenal! I can't wait to one day share that with Mya as well!